Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Albuera - Spanish deployment

I think that we have resolved the issue of British Rifle Companies with the 4th Division. My conclusion from the various posts is that there was not a 5/60th Company with the detached companies from Kemmis' Brigade, it being for some reason still with Kemmis' delayed main body, but that the Fusilier Brigade did have its Brunswick rifle company (commanded by Wachholtz).

I would now like to address the conflicting information regarding the Spanish deployment.

Oman (Volume IV p 377) says that Blake's three Divisions were arrayed in line from north to south: Lardizabal, Ballasteros and Zayas, each Division with one brigade in the front line and one brigade in the second line. Oman further states (p 379) that Beresford asked Blake to redeploy one line (presumably the second one) to face south to meet the French Vth Corps attack but that Blake initially only sent one Brigade of four battalions (again I presume the rear one) from Zayas' Division. On p 381 Oman says this initial deployment was reinforced by four battalions (I presume a Brigade) from Ballasteros and two battalions from Larizabal (again I presume a Brigade because Lardizabal had brigades of only two battalions). If Oman's deployment is correct then it would be logical if these reinforcements were all of the remaining second line.

Edwards (Albuera p 133) however shows a different deployment with all of Lardizabal's Division (north) and Ballasteros' Division (south) in the first line and all of Zayas' Division in the second line. It is not entirely clear but on p 139 he implies that all of Zayas' Division was redeployed to face south and was subsequently reinforced by three battalions from Lardizabal on the right and two battalions from Ballasteros on the left.

Oliver & Partridge (The Battle of Albuera - 1811) has a map on page 87 showing the same initial layout as Edwards but then has maps on p 91 and 96 showing the positions of Lardizabal's Division and Ballasteros' Division reversed so that Ballasteros' Division is north and Lardizabal's Division is south. These latter maps show Spanish units down to battalion level and are stated to have been from the Spanish General Staff after the battle. Again they state that just a single Brigade of Zayas' Division was initially deployed to face south but shows the reinforcements by Lardizabal and Ballasteros to both be to the left of Zayas.

I wound be interested in views as to which of these deployments is correct?

Rod