Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Clearing up after 1812

I've just been going through my excerpts from the Times for 1812 and came across the following extract.

Times 22.5.13
St Petersburgh April 20
"Our Gazette today contains the following:

In conformity to the directions issued by Government for the complete destruction of the dead bodies of men and horses belonging to the enemy, which fell in battle or perished from the cold, and had not been committed to the earth, the following reports have been transmitted by the Governors of different provinces:

In the Government of Minsk up to the end of January, 18,797 dead bodies of men and 2746 of horses had been burned; and there still remained to be burned, of the former, 30,106 and of the latter 27,316, the greater part of which were found on the banks of the Beresina.

In the Government of Moscow, up to the 15th of February, 49754 dead bodies of men and 27,849 of horses had been burnt, besides a number of others that were buried.

In the Government of Smolensk, up to the 2nd of March, 71,735 dead bodies of men and 51430 of horses, had been been committed to the flames.

In the Government of Wilna, up to the 5th of March, 72,203 dead bodies of men, and 9407 of horses had been put under ground.

In the Government of Kaluga, up to the 11th of March, 1017 human corpses and 4384 dead horses had been burnt.

The sum of the whole was 213,516 human corpses and 95816 dead horses, exclusive of many others either burned or buried of which no account was taken. The strictest measures have been taken for destroying, before the approach of Spring, the dead bodies that may be found in the rivers or woods."

My computer makes the totals 243612 humans and 123132 horses but I suppose it is a bit late to write to the Times and point this out.

Susan