Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Orangisme in de Nederlandse

Oranje driften: Orangisme in de Nederlandse politieke cultuur (1780-1813)
Hansma, L., 2018, [Groningen]: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen. 246 p.

In this book I have examined Orangism in the Netherlands in the years between roughly 1780 and 1813. By focusing on the political ideas of Orangists in this period, I exposed he complexity of Orangism. Orangist political discourse drifted in several directions. This was partly due to successive political changes that determined Dutch politics between 1780 and 1813. Orangists reacted differently to each event and development. The rise of the Patriot movement, the proclamation of the Batavian Republic and the increasing influence of the French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in the Netherlands had a major influence on the lives and thinking of Orangists. Despite the radical changes in Dutch politics in these years, Orangism never disappeared. My research has shown that in all their diversity in every turbulent period, Orangists developed their own political ideas by adapting them to the circumstances of the time. In doing so, they helped shape the political culture of the Netherlands between 1780 and November 1813 and contributed to the foundation of the political system after 1813: that of a constitutional monarchy.

https://www.rug.nl/research/portal/nl/publications/oranje-driften(1d6fdf45-7ccf-4321-97ac-f449f9a8cf70).html