Napoleon Series Archive 2020

A Reforma Cabanis como pauta da idéologie

A Reforma Cabanis como pauta da idéologie: faculdades imperiais em vez de universidades góticas
Naomar Almeida-Filho
Revista Lusófona de Educação, 42, 2018

Abstract: In this paper, I intend to evaluate how, beyond the health field, Cabanis Reform was incorporated into the Bonapartist educational reform that established the institutional foundations of the higher education system implanted in France during the 19th century. With this aim, I first present the main points of the medical education reform, highlighting conceptual and politico-pedagogical dimensions of the contribution of Cabanis and his partners – members of the movement that became known as Idéologie –, especially in relation to its potential articulation with the education system in general. Secondly, I identify historical events related to the French education system reorganization, in the context of social reforms that begun in the Consulate regime, consolidated in the Empire and was maintained in the Restoration. Thirdly, I analyze the configuration of the model resulting from such reforms, emphasizing the concept of Imperial University, promoted by the Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte himself as the manager centre of the entire education system. Finally, I refer to the republican university reform approved in the 1890s when universities were reincorporated into the French education system as an instance of institutional representation and symbolic coordination of faculties, schools, and academies that held political, administrative, and academic autonomy.

http://revistas.ulusofona.pt/index.php/rleducacao/article/view/6694