Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Haslach 1805 update

Hi all,

For those who were involved in the Haslach discussion a while back .... an update of sorts.

I recently spent a day in Vincennes and copied some of the registers of the 9e léger, so now have the records of all the men in the regiment who fought in the 1805/06/07 campaigns.

The good news is these registers were kept up to date so I am able to look at things like who was killed in action and wounded, etc. The records are fairly comprehensive and it will take me some weeks yet to compile all the relevant data.

However, having had a trawl through looking in particular at Haslach, it looks as if the 'Incomparable' Ninth really were heavily engaged. Ignoring the killed (they don't say how the man was killed) the types of wound I am getting are interesting: not many artillery wounds; mostly gunshot, some bayonets and quite a few sabre wounds to the head. There are also quite a lot of prisoner losses, which makes me think a number may have been cut off in Jungingen when it was finally retaken by the Austrians and the 9th retreated to its starting positions. The sabre blows to the head are interesting as one company was detached and came under cavalry attack, but may indicate skirmishers caught in the open. When the data is compiled I should be able to see if the sabre wounds belong mainly to one company or are spread around. Of course, we must also consider Austrian officers causing the wounds in hand-to-hand fighting, something the bayonet wounds indicate occured.

Judging by the number of wounded who remained uncaptured, it is clear the 9th were able to secure many of their wounded at night and carry off their wounded unmolested. This backs up Dupont's account of the battle in that regard. I don't see it as a French victory - except that they gained their primary objective, which was to survive until nightfall, secure their wounded and head off at all speed.

I am also looking at Durenstein, Friedland and a couple of other signifcant actions the 9th fought in. Getting this data really is giving the clearest picture yet.

Also, if I remember, Hans-Karl was looking into voltigeur cornets. I have noted (somewhere) a cornet in the Ninth killed in action in 1809, Austria. This implies they were still being used at this time.

Lastly, back to Haslach, I am finding musicians among the killed and captured. For all those who say the bands never went near the action, think again!

Terry

Messages In This Thread

Haslach 1805 update
Look forward to your findings! *NM*