Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Civilian Passage by Seafaring Vessels

Apropos the recent discussion of the French slave-trade, I have read that by 1792 slaves in rebellion in San Domingue had taken over something approximating a third of that French possession. Consequently, large numbers of fearful, white and mulatto inhabitants began to leave the island, many of them choosing to go to France. As there were no “passenger ships” extant at that time, it appears that anyone in San Domingue hoping to escape to France had to secure a berth on either a (French?) merchant ship or warship. My guess is that it was French merchantmen that mainly carried the load. Then again, it could have been American merchantmen who took émigrés to the American East Coast, from where they would re-embark for France. How far off the mark am I? And, what kind of ships served as French merchantmen during the French revolution? Given the numbers of people trying to escape the revolt in the Caribbean and the nature of triangular trade, my guess is that they must have been fairly large ships, such as brigs, brigantines or frigates. Can anyone paint an accurate picture?

With thanks,

Messages In This Thread

Civilian Passage by Seafaring Vessels
Re: Civilian Passage by Seafaring Vessels *LINK*