Napoleon Series Archive 2011

Pavel Pushin - questions

I finished the diaries of Pavel Pushin and it was pure joy to read them.

I found some interesting information and would like to ask some questions:

On page 32 he writes about a gunner who wanted to serve in the cavalry, he joined a Uhlan (lancer) regiment - he was dedetced and caught due to his hairs cut.
6th and 7th of July (18th and 19th July 1812)

So - was there a difference in haircut between artillery, infantry and cavalry?

on page 45 - he reports about a mass which was held in camp before battle, and as a duty officer he was ordered to allow the soldiers to remove their knapsacks and unfurl their overcoats. (24th Augsut (5th september 1812)

Unfurl their overcoats - what does that mean, did they got the permission to wear them across the shoulder for that occassion?

In 1813 he writes :

"I personally was struck by our cavalry which I have not seen sice 1812. Then it was in terrible condition, but today in a mignificient form.", page 95
(12 (24th Apritl 1813)

Also after the battle of Kulm

[Today was) the review of cavalry, which I also attended. It was impossible not to notice the superiority of the Russian and Prussian troops over the Austrians. p. 142
(23 th August, 3rd September 1813.

So in what way ws the Russian cavalry superior in 1813 - compared to 1812, in dress, horses??

Then also in his diary Pushin speaks a lot about training - or the translator chose that word - like at
12 [24th of March] - We took up the guard duty in Klaisz and conducted training in the presence of the Emperor, p. 87 - so what does that mean, drill, exerzise, manoeuvres or physical training???

Finally, I am pleased that also Pushin did not that Moreau did wear civilian dress and not a Russian uniform - as so often he is accused by post mortem Napoleonic propagnada that he did.

So any comments on my above observations would be highly welcomed

Messages In This Thread

Pavel Pushin - questions
Re: Pavel Pushin - questions