Napoleon Series Archive 2014

Re: Loss of a colour 1809.
In Response To: Re: Loss of a colour 1809. ()

Diear Digby
Finally got the IR 62 box and without a very detailed investigation it remains somewhat vague, but IR 62 was heavy involved in the fightinhg rtreat as in the corps rearguard an loosing 1.635 men in June so mostly fromm th e11th San Daniele to 17th Tarvis.

For Gemona and the claims of the Regimental history it is prooved but somewhat confusing as Br Wöber together with Fhr Zillinger was indeed captured at Gemona but he commanded 9th company which lost 136 men in June
for Gemona there was some loss of the 8th company,

I had a closer look on 3rd Batallion
13th company Olt Joseph Bericht + 64 Men at Gemona
14 th San Daniele and Tarvis
15 62 men at Gemona
16 79 Mann bei Tarvis
17 Hptm Johann Hayer 30.4 Soave, Olte Baghala and Ult martin Eibler and 70 men at Gemona
18 Hptm Zagrodzky 17 and 118 Mann Tarvis

Oberst Gapp with much of 1st Batallion caotured at Tarvis on the 17the when Giulay got the order to retreat somewhat too late...

The "Führer" so the ones with the flag could not be located in the losses
Georg Toth was and with the Bagagetrain of 9th corps, on e the first one which i would suspect carring the Leibstandarte was "comandiert" but with no note, so i suspect that the one at the bagage train carried the Leibstandarte which would make sense to keep him out of the retreat actions...

So there is no hint that 1st Batallion and the Leibstandarde were involved in the loss and Gemona, and probably it was the 3rd Batallions "Standarte" that was loss.

Yours Michael

Messages In This Thread

Loss of a colour 1809.
URL for page 93.