Napoleon Series Archive 2014

Re: Book on Waterloo
In Response To: Re: Book on Waterloo ()

Hi Mo

If you read the paragraph this comment is made in- I make it clear that I am trying to portray how many in Europe saw him at that time using a modern example - not my own view. It has to be admitted that most of Europe vilified Napoleon in 1814-15. Very few saw him still as a hero.

Gareth

Here is my statement in full.

It must also be fully understood that the Napoleon, who is lionised today, would hardly be recognisable to almost anyone in 1815. Even within France it is clear that by this date, the majority of the population did not follow him with any form of joy or hope. Napoleon was never guilty of the inhuman crimes that Adolf Hitler and his henchmen unleashed upon the world more than a century later; but it must be recognised, that to the vast majority of Europeans in 1815, Napoleon was an insatiable war-mongerer; a despot; a criminal; a monster; or an ogre; in many respects he was the Idi Amin, or the Saddam Hussein of his day. Europe turned against him on mass and his defeat at Waterloo was the victory of a combined will over a tyrant with an untiring desire for expansion and constant war.

Messages In This Thread

Book on Waterloo *PIC*