Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Pere Lachaise Cemetery Visit

Dear All,

I have just returned from a highly successful and enjoyable visit to Paris. I visited many Napoleonic sites including Les Invalides, the Arc de Triomphe, the Tuileries/Louvre and many others, taking over 1,200 photos!

In reference to a recent post, I also did extremely well during my visit to Pere Lachaise Cemetery where many of the French Marshalate are buried. To be honest, my search would not have been half as successful but for the help I received from Tom Holmberg, who directed me to useful maps and reminded me of Tony Broughton's article (available on this site). Many thanks to Tom and Tony, you've done me a big favour.

I highly recommend a visit to Pere Lachaise to anyone interested in this period. This complex, sprawling mass of a cemetery is a historic location in its own right and contains the tombs of famous individuals like Jim Morrison (Doors rock group) and Oscar Wilde among others. Tony's 2001 article enabled me to find the tombs of 14 marshals but, even with this guide, it wasn't easy among this incredible maze of tombstones. The resting places of Marshal Mortier and Marshal Perignon proved particularly elusive but I found them eventually. I also came across the tombs of General Foy, Baron Thiebault, David (artist), Balzac (author) and numerous soldiers of various ranks that I would probably have missed but for the plaques placed upon them by Napoleonic societies. Having quoted from Thiebault's memoirs in my own work, I was particularly pleased to find his resting place near Marshal Suchet's tomb, which came as a pleasant surprise. His recollections are often controversial but are well written and provide good points for discussion.

To give an idea of how difficult it is to navigate around Pere Lachaise, I stumbled across the tombs of David, Marie Walescu and Balzac by chance along with some others. Indeed, I took photos of some busts, statues and ornate tombs from different periods simply out of general interest. In many ways the place has to be seen to be believed. I've visited large ancient cemeteries before but this is colossus with closely packed tombs, including many so big that they obscure several others. I would have been lost without those maps, Tom.

I have only just called up the posts from Kevin Kiley and Margaret Chrisawn, which unfortunately I hadn't seen prior to my visit. Thank you for those and I'll try to visit Marshal Lannes' final resting place if I go to Paris again.

Once again, many thanks to Tom and Tony!

Best Regards,

David Buttery

Messages In This Thread

Pere Lachaise Cemetery Visit
Re: Pere Lachaise Cemetery Visit