Napoleon Series Archive 2017

An addendum

There is never enough time to seek out, read and make use of all of the (potentially) useful published research that might inform a book, article or thesis – or, indeed, work in progress.

It is worth noting that this thesis was submitted just over twenty years ago, in 1997, when the internet was not the all pervasive entity it has become. However, given the research subject, and a specific reference to an article in the same volume of Wellington Studies *, it is perhaps strange that the author did not make use of / reference the following article

R.J.B. Muir and C.J. Esdaile, 'Strategic Planning in a Time of Small Government: The Wars against Revolutionary and Napoleonic France, 1793–1815', in C.M. Woolgar (ed.), Wellington Studies (Southampton: Hartley Institute 1996), I, 1–90.

The definitive study of the British Army in this period for a considerable time, also acknowledging the importance of the work of Brewer (fiscal military state), Colley (nationalism) and Glover (military developments), was of course J. E. Cookson, the British Armed Nation, 1793-1815, (Oxford: Clarendon Press). This extremely valuable volume is only in my meagre collection of books due to the kindness and generosity of Steven H. Smith.

More recently in the UK, of course, we are indebted to (amongst other historians such as Andrew Bamford and a number of other contributors ** to this site) the work of Kevin Linch https://www.leeds.ac.uk/arts/profile/20041/293/kevin_linch/viewall

Interestingly, and perhaps also unfortunately, Cookson acknowledges Jeremy Black’s assistance when researching and writing his book, who also acted as mentor to Bartlett, but moved to Exeter before completion of the thesis. On the assumption that the two authors did not communicate at the time, if internet connections were available then perhaps Bartlett might have benefitted from the types of interaction we see every day on this site.

A final point I would like to make, then, is to recognise the benefits we all derive from the collegiate forum that is the Napoleon Series.

Best wishes
A

* C.M. Woolgar (ed.), Wellington Studies volume I (Southampton University, 1996)
** Rory Muir, Robert Burnham, Howie Muir and Ron McGuigan (eds.), Inside Wellington's Peninsular Army, 1808–1814 (Pen and Sword: Barnsley, 2006)

John Brewer, The Sinews of Power: War, Money and the English State, 1688-1788, (Unwin Hyman, 1989)
Linda Colley. Britons: Forging the Nation 1707–1837, (New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1992)
Richard Glover, Peninsular Preparation: The Reform of the British Army, 1795-1809, (Cambridge University Press, 1963)

Messages In This Thread

British army during the war with France, 1793-1815
An addendum