Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: British Officers Portuguese Service Cased Shak

I would caution against reading too much into this shako. In my opinion, it is a relatively modern forgery. Having bought, sold and collected 18th and early 19th century militaria over the last forty plus years I have gained some experience at spotting fakes, having examined many over the years. A considerable variety of purportedly Napoleonic vintage (and AWI) pieces of headdress have been made and circulated into the market since the 1980's, and this piece exhibits a few details that convince me that it is likely one of them. The bugle is a common modern restrike of a Victorian badge. The cords are c.1900 at best, and reconfigured to fit the shako. The leather edging to the front is crudely done and not of a period construction method for this pattern shako. The lining is modern. The tin looks to be 20th c. and nothing to do with headdress. The overall impression reads to me as being consistent with the methods and appearance of a broad range of modern forgeries, but very little like authentic surviving shakos of this period.

Messages In This Thread

British Officers Portuguese Service Cased Shako