Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Britain, Napoleon, and the WORLD

Thank you Tom, I will read with very great interest. Firstly, I wholeheartedly agree with the author that it is quite right to claim that the policy of Britain in this period, and all west-European (Atlantic facing) countries, cannot be viewed in isolation of empire and each other. Secondly, it is also undeniable that the proponent of such an argument will come into conflict with a number of leading scholars who afford a primacy to European issues and conflicts. That being said, and despite being completed in 2017 and a fairly broad ranging bibliography, the sources are somewhat Anglo-centric. Elliot, J. H. Empires of the Atlantic World: Britain and Spain in America 1492-1830. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2007 provides a useful Hispanic counter-perspective to Robson, M, Britain, Portugal and South America in the Napoleonic Wars: Alliances and Diplomacy in Economic Maritime Conflict (New York: I. B. Tauris, 2011). However, the now somewhat dated, but all important, work by Parry, J.H, Trade and Dominion: the European overseas empires in the eighteenth century, (London: Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1971) would have been useful too (my emphasis). The impact of state policy on economic development, trade and Empire is covered in Davis, R, The rise of the Atlantic economies, (London : Weidenfeld and Nicolson, 1973) whilst the origins and ideology of classical political economy and imperialism are to be found in Semmel, B, The Rise of Free Trade Imperialism: Classical Political Economy the Empire of Free Trade and Imperialism 1750-1850, (Cambridge : Cambridge University Press). Neither of these seminal texts appear in the bibliography. Lynch, J, “British Policy and Spanish America, 1783-1808.” Journal of Latin American Studies 1:1 (May 1969): 1-30 is referenced but not his later work: ‘Origins of Spanish American independence’, in Leslie Bethell (ed.), The independence of Latin America, (Cambridge, 1987) * nor is Paquette, G, ‘The dissolution of the Spanish Atlantic monarchy’, The Historical Journal, vol. 52, no. 1 (2009), 175–212 or his seminal study on the subject of Atlantic conflict: Imperial Portugal in the Age of Atlantic Revolutions: The Luso-Brazilian World, c.1770–1850 (New York: Cambridge University Press, 2013). British policy, if not that of Napoleon, cannot be viewed in my opinion without reference to this last title. Best wishes A

Messages In This Thread

Britain, Napoleon, and the World
Britain, Napoleon, and the WORLD