Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Stretcher bearers at Waterloo

Michael,

Thanks for the info.

I lost your e-mail adress as my old laptop had problems and I can't find it with the program on my new laptop.

I am nearly finished with the fate of the wounded after Waterloo until their evacuation to England, Prussia, The Netherlands or France.

I focus my research especially on the Belgian surgeon Kluyskens who was appointed as the superior medical officer of the Southern Dutch Provinces by Brugmans on order of King William and approved by general Tindal, commissioner-general of the War Administration in the Southern Netherlands.
As a doctor, you will be interested in the medical interventions Kluyskens did.

Hippolyte Kluyskens (1807). -1885), his son, who was also a physician and a professor at the Medicine Faculty of Ghent mid 19th century, wrote in the "Annales de la Société de Médicine de Gand of 1855" under the title "Exposé des principaux cas de chirurgie observés après la bataille de Waterloo dans les hopitaux de Bruxelles" how his father did the amputations.
https://www.amazon.com/ce%CC%81le%CC%80bres-sciences-me%CC%81dailles-consacrent-souvenir-ebook/dp/B01A4K0P50

Of the 300 wounded soldiers on which he did an amputation, only 25 died. Most amputations were done on the lower limbs. All were performed circularly according to the method of Alarson and Luis. In 160 cases, the wound of the stump was brought together with adhesive tapes and an appropriate dressing immediately after the procedure. In the other cases, the stump was left open because of the already existing pus formation.
Kluyskens admits that, in cases where closure of the wound was made, only 4 cured primary. In all other cases, the adherence caused additional damage due to swelling and pressure necrosis or exaggerated pusher accumulation. The stump then always showed a conical view which greatly delayed healing .
Normally almost all men with open bone fractures would die of hospital rotting. Kluyskens had rarely this problem, probably because of his use of "mel muriaticum" (honey with hydrochloric acid) ".
On November 23, 1815, there were still 23 soldiers with an arm amputation in the military hospital. In 2 a desarticulation was performed at the height of the shoulder joint. Such a method was recommended by Larrey in the past, but Kluyskens had a bad experience with this.
He preferred a high upper arm amputation.
He always assumed a conservative attitude whereby he would only have lost 10 patients. The cure would have lasted about three months on average.

Penetrated head wounds had a poor prognosis. Kluyskens only mentions: "the number that survived this injury after the battle is not significant".
Facial injuries, on the other hand, mostly inflicted by saber cuts, often healed.
They also brought five wounded to the hospital where a bullet went through the chest. They, too, apparently recovered.
Kluyskens has treated various penetrating abdominal wounds, but without organ injuries. They healed without details. He also mentions some cases of healing with organ injuries: once a gall bladder perforation, two colon lesions, two bladder perforations. In one of the colon lesions he resected a gangreneous intestinal segment and applied an anus praeter.
He says nothing about hurt with organ injuries that died.
However, they will have been considerably in number even though many will never have reached the hospital alive. All limb injuries with open fractures and arterial injuries required amputation.
In the case of simple lesions, ligation of the brachial artery was well tolerated. In the case of joint injuries, a conservative attitude was always assumed, which usually resulted in loss of mobility and deformity. Sometimes an amputation was performed to prevent prolonged suppuration.
"Hospital rot" (gas gangrene) was observed several times in September 1815 but never led to death.
According to Kluyskens thanks to the use of "mel muriaticum".
8 wounded, of which 3 with lesions at the feet or knees developed tetanus. This number is extremely small when it is known that the cavalry played an important role in the battle and the presence of thousands of horses significantly increases the risk of tetanus. Of the 8 cases, only one is cured. This patient was treated according to the method of Stütz: alternating administration of opium and alkali.
Opium was given in the form of opium wine or laudanum. The alkali consisted of one gram of potassium bicarbonate in 7 ounces of distilled water. This treatment generally reduced the severity of the contractions. The 7 who did not survive were treated in this way for 15 to 18 days. In general it can be said that the obtained results are very good taking into account the resources of that time. After all, people did not know about micro-organisms as causes of infection.

Marc

Messages In This Thread

Stretcher bearers at Waterloo
Re: 1er Bataillon de soldats d'ambulance 1815