Napoleon Series Archive 2017

layout of the camp of the 69e de ligne

very interesting, especially camp lay out, grenadier companies side by side, first battalion at the left, second battalion at the right.
I believe the reconstruction of the camp on p. 78 is erroneous.

The front of the camp is to the west, the line of the faisceaux d'armes is in front of the tents. So the first battalion is on the right, and the second on the left, as usual.

It seems the only companies whose position could be truely identifed, by carved stones, were those of a grenadier company and of the 4th fusilier company of the 2nd battalion.

Thus the whole outline of the 1st battalion is but a reconstruction. An erroneous reconstruction, I dare say, as the companies would be inversed (8th company on the right and 1st company on the left).

I presume that each battalion camped together with its company of grenadiers, which is placed on the right, as usual.

So the order of the companies will have been, from north to south (in bold: position confirmed):

1st battalion: grenadiers, 1ère, 2e, 3e, 4e, 5e, 6e, 7e, 8e of fusiliers
2nd battalion: grenadiers, 1ère, 2e, 3e, 4e, 5e, 6e, 7e, 8e of fusiliers

Below a plan of a regulation tent camp, which had the same basic layout as a camp of barracks. In this 1792 plan, representing a line regiment of two battalions, the grenadiers of the 2nd battalion have been assigned to the 1st battalion.

Messages In This Thread

Money and barracks in the Camp de Boulogne *LINK*
Re: Money and barracks in the Camp de Boulogne
layout of the camp of the 69e de ligne