Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Fuerte de la Concepción
In Response To: Re: Fort Concepcion ()

Terry,
Only a partial answer I’m afraid.
Loison partially destroyed Fuerte de la Concepción in 1808.
Wellington ordered the breaches in the two ruined bastions to be repaired and for the fort to be occupied in 1810. Somewhat absurdly, its fortifications were both being repaired and mined at the same time (Wellington's Dispatches VI (WD) and Burgoyne).
Wellington ordered two mortars and some field pieces from Almeida to La Concepción (WD).
However, although I have not seen a definitive account of the withdrawal of these pieces, their removal from the fort and that of the accompanying stores was certainly more than adequately planned for (WD).
The mines were blown (albeit only partially successfully) on the retreat of the Light Division in July.
The French accounts that I have seen of the subsequent entry into and occupation of the fort in 1810 make no mention of any artillery found there (Belmas, Guingret, Pelet).
It served as Massena’s headquarters for a while, officer accommodation and as a bakery (Pelet).
Once the French held Almeida, the fort had no strategic importance and, as far as I am aware, was not occupied militarily by the French.
I visited the fort in 1994, if you have, or have access to, Horward’s Twin Sieges, some useful information and photography is to be found therein as to its condition.
I do not have access to the Dickson Manuscript, but this would be the most likely source for any definitive information on Wellington's deployment of artillery.
In May 1811, it was not tenable as a fort and, although I am no artillerist, the ruined bastions would offer little or no advantage for artillery emplacements in the oncoming field action.
Apart from agricultural, horticultural and domestic enclosures, the surrounding area is is relatively open, cavalry country – the fort could very easily be outflanked.
Lipscombe in Wellington’s guns, makes no mention of artillery being placed there – and he, of course, consulted Dickson and other sources for his account of the artillery at Fuentes.
Finally, as you will have seen, the map in Oman vol IV (to face p. 316), has the left of Wellington’s line anchored on the south side of Aldea del Obispo and Barbacena’s Portuguese cavalry on its northern outskirts on the extreme left.
The fort is somewhat to the rear of the line.
Wellington laid very careful plans for any eventual retreat from the position (if needed) but I have not seen a reference to the fort - although it obviously lies on the main route via Almeida (which would have to be skirted around as it was held by the French) to the crossing over the Côa (in the celebrated action between Ney’s VI Corps and the Light Division).
In such an eventuality, the fort is outside Wellington’s main battle line so could not be of much defensive assistance.
Hope this is helpful
Best wishes
A

Messages In This Thread

Fort Concepcion
Re: Fort Concepcion
Fuerte de la Concepción
Re: Fuerte de la Concepción