Napoleon Series Archive 2017

French General Officers' Bicorne and Sash

I have hundreds of uniform books on various armies of the Napoleonic Era, but I have not been able to find the answer to these questions. And before some wit responds with "They wore what they wanted". I looking at what they wore according to regulation and for field uniform only:

1. What color of feathers were worn on top of the bicorne for Generals of Brigade, Lieutenant Generals, and Marshals? I am not referring a plume but the feathers that cover the bicorne from ine side to the other. I have seen some images showing white and others black. Was it differentiated by rank?

2. What color were the sashes worn by Generals of Brigade, Lieutenant Generals, and Marshals? Most images show alternating diagonal red and either yellow or gold for Lieutenant Generals, while Generals of Brigade's sashes appear to diagonal blue and either yellow or gold. If this is correct was the base clothe blue / red with gold embroidery? What color was the marshals' sash? Most images I have found shows white with gold diagonal stripes. . . or possibly silver with gold diagonal stripes.

Thanks!

Bob

Messages In This Thread

French General Officers' Bicorne and Sash
Re: French General Officers' Bicorne and Sash