Napoleon Series Archive 2020

The Emperor of Paris

Dear All,

In December 2018 the film Le Empereur de Paris starring Vincent Casel was released in France. It looked like an entertaining action film set within our period but I was surprised to discover that it is loosely based on fact. The main protagonist is a former criminal who agrees to hunt down his underworld confederates for the authorities in exchange for a pardon and it no doubt plays fast and loose with historical fact as most films do. However, I was impressed to see how accurate the costumes and scenes appear to be from the trailer. For example the Arc de Triomphe appears covered in scaffolding and only partially constructed in the background of one scene. Likewise the uniforms of troop of mounted chasseurs a cheval appear to be extremely accurate.

It is partly based on the career of Eugène François Vidocq, a former criminal whose life story inspired writers such as Victor Hugo, Edgar Allan Poe, and Honoré de Balzac. He became the founder and first director of the crime-detection Sûreté Nationale as well as the head of the first known private detective agency. Vidocq is considered to be the father of modern criminology and of the French police department. He is also regarded as the first private detective.

As it didn't get much of a cinematic release in the UK, I am hoping to buy a subtitled version on DVD when it comes out. Has anyone had a chance to see this film yet? If so, does it live up to the promise of the trailer?

Regards,

David

Messages In This Thread

The Emperor of Paris
Vidocq *LINK*
Re: The Emperor of Paris
Re: The Emperor of Paris