Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Re: Royal Staff Corps
In Response To: Royal Staff Corps ()

Allan,

I have nothing specifically about the Royal Staff Corps at New Orleans, but for them in general see:

Lt-Col F. S. Garwood 'The Royal Staff Corps, 1800-1937' Royal Engineers Journal vol 57 1943 p 81-96, 247-60

and

Major J. T. Hancock 'The British First Combat Engineers' Royal Engineers Journal vol 88 1974 p 203-14

There is also an excellent long by Robert Burnham 'British Bridging Operations in the Peninsula' in Inside Wellington's Peninsular Army 1808-1814 - a volume of essays by me, Howie Muir, Robert Burnham and Ron McGuigan that was published by Pen & Sword in 2006 and should still be available.

Wellington wrote home to Lord Liverpool on 18 April 1811 asking for two more companies of the Royal Staff Corps (Wellington Dispatches vol 4 p 756-7 of the 1844 eight volume edition); and there is a bit about their activities in The Autobiography of Samuel Laing who was an officer in the corps from 1805-1809. There is also some further information in a thread on this forum back in July and August 2001, although I'm not sure if the archives go back quite this far.

Rory

Messages In This Thread

Royal Staff Corps