Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Re: La Manoeuvre de Lutzen 1813

There is some useful stuff in there about the spring campaign - it goes right up to the armistice - but few sources given and rather spoiled by peculiar name spellings which make me wonder whether this document has been subjected to OCR at some point. There are the usual sweeping and unsupported statements about the motives of the Allies and equally sweeping, if better supported, criticisms of the military abilities of Napoleon's subordinates. He seems to be one of those (as far as I can tell from my spped-read) who considers Napoleon as the fount of all military wisdom even though he does occasionally admit that his subordinates were limited by the means at their disposal.
If the author lectured his colleagues in this style I'm not surprised he was unpopular!

I noticed a phrase I have never seen before: 'en amont et en aval' which obviously means 'above and below' and which my dictionary gives as 'upstream and downstream' which fits the context. I can't understand why this is new to me, you'd think it would be in common use. It may be I have just missed it but could it be a late 19th century usage?

Susan

Messages In This Thread

La Manoeuvre de Lutzen 1813