Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Re: Wellington`s Order of 28 November 1812

W apparently issued an order on this date, which heavily criticized just about every member of his army - according to a German source that I am now reading.
Anyone have the actual content of this order?
WMTIA.

Would this be the text you are thinking of? :

“I am concerned to observe, that the army under my command has fallen off, in this respect, in the late campaign, to a greater degree than any army with which I have ever served, or of which I have ever read; yet this army has met with no disaster; it has suffered no privations, which but trifling attention on the part of the officers could not have prevented; and for which there existed no reason whatever in the nature of the service: nor has it suffered any hardships, excepting those resulting from the necessity of being exposed to the inclemencies of the weather at a time when they were most severe. It must be obvious, however, to every officer, that from the moment the troops commenced their retreat from the neighbourhood of Burgos on the one hand, and from Madrid on the other, the officers lost all command over their men; irregularities and outrages of all descriptions were committed with impunity, and losses have been sustained which ought never to have occurred.”

Circular letter to commanding officers.

Text taken from "History of the French Revolution and of the Wars produced by that memorable event {etc}" (C. Kelly1818). Volume 2

Messages In This Thread

Wellington`s Order of 28 November 1812