Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Prussians at Waterloo

Hi all,

My expertise iscertainly not on the Prussian forces, so can anyone help answer this query please.

Brad Witt has discovered that the below member of his family was in the Prussian army

• Daniel Friedrich Witt (birthdate unknown)
o 1804 - married in Gramzow, Anklam, Pomerania, Prussia
o 1811 - child born in Sophienhof, Demmin, Pomerania Prussia
o 1813 - child born in Wüstenfelde, Demmin, Pomerania, Prussia
o 1820 - child born in Ueckeritz, Pomerania, Prussia
o 1829 - child born in Ueckeritz, Pomerania, Prussia

He states - From a family history perspective, I have particular interest due to a lone reference to a 3x-great-grandfather from Prussia that he "was a soldier in the allied army of Blücher’s Division, and in the Battle of Waterloo, was taken prisoner.” This citation was written by his grandson nearly 70 years after Waterloo.

He asks
• I assume Prussian army regiments were organized by geographic region. I found the attached Garrison map (by region, 1740-1806), and my hope is this might give me a head-start as I search for Regiment/Garrison records of my ancestor (the Garrison nearest his hometown appears to be in nearby Demmin). Any experience using or researching Garrison records for the Prussian army?

• You mentioned the holdings of the archive in Berlin, which I have never accessed. I assume this refers to the Geheimes Staatsarchiv (Secret State Archives) of the Prussian Cultural Heritage archive. Any suggestions for me as I reach out to this archive? I am currently living in Germany for a couple months, and would be pleased to visit the archive if useful documents might be available.

If anyone can answer these questions and give him advice where best to look for information please contact Brad at bradkwitt@gmail.com

Thanks
Gareth

Messages In This Thread

Prussians at Waterloo
Re: Prussians at Waterloo