Napoleon Series Archive 2007

Working with the Portuguese archives

I spent an hour with the Portuguese archives yesterday to see what I could see. It is a very well organized site but my only complaint is that, in the description of the document, they do not give the outside dates, so that one sometimes has to look at the document to get them. On the other hand, peninsular material usually has the index number "14" so it can recognized as in "AHM Div 1 14."

Another problem is that the search engine apparently does not accept unit numbers in the English language style. A search for "7th" will not bring up anything on either the 7th Foot or the 7th Portuguese Infantry Regiment, you need the Portuguese number style, vizt "7[little o], etc. and I have not figured out how to do this on my keyboard. A search for "7" plus "fuzileiros" or "regimento de infantaria" does not seem to work.

On the other hand, a search for "ordens do dia" turned up some very interesting things including a collection of Beresford's dispatches relating to actions fought by the Portuguese army and the daily orders (in French) for Junot's corps in July 1810, clearly a captured document.

All in all, despite the problems, this is an excellent source for research into an army that is too often overlooked.

DE Graves

Messages In This Thread

Great News- Portuguese arquives *LINK*
Re: Great News- Portuguese arquives
Accessing the Portuguese archives
Re: Accessing the Portuguese archives
Working with the Portuguese archives
Regimento de Infantaria n.º 7 (Setúbal)
Relaçãooficiais e praças: Regimento Infantaria 7