Napoleon Series Archive 2007

Re: Declarations of War
In Response To: Re: Declarations of War ()

John,
De Martens made the point that the existence of the laws of war was proved by the way in which nations blamed each other for breaking them.

Championnet to Mack:
"Charged by my government to command the army destined to protect the independence of the Roman republic, I am responsible to them for all infractions of that independence; on your side ,M. le general, you are not less responsible for the blood which will flow and the flames that you are lighting. Consider that there is peace between the French republic and the court of Naples; that the two ambassadors of the two governments and all their other diplomatic agents are still residing at Paris and Naples; lastly, that nothing has broken the bonds whch the last peace treaty had established between the French republic and the king of the Two Sicilies. In this state of affairs, to summon French troops to evacuate the Roman territory, the defence of which has been entrusted to them, is to violate treaties, it is to violate the law of nations, which does not permit formal aggression between governments until after a declsration of war; it is finally to be the aggressor and to take upon himself the events of a war which can only turn to the detriment of humanity.
There, M. le general, are the observations to which I expect a response."

When the Neapolitans entered the Roman states they claimed they weren't actually starting a war, they were just encouraging the French troops to leave so the Pope could be restored to his domains. They said that if the French did not comply, it would be the French who were starting the war - apparently the Emperor had promised to support Naples only against French aggression, so this was an important technicality. However the Emperor still refused to play and the congress at Rastadt creaked along for a bit longer. I think war was formally declared in the spring.

regards,

Susan

Messages In This Thread

Declarations of War