Napoleon Series Archive 2007

Re: Martinet publication
In Response To: Re: Martinet publication ()

Malvaux's website does seem to be unavailable, but if you search for "Malvaux Martinet" on Google, you can find a cache of the description of the new book. This book includes illustrations of all the Martinet prints owned by the French Army Museum (including those from the Brunon collection) so it is exhaustive in its coverage, but I am not sure that is such a good thing. (I ommitted prints from my book simply because I felt there was little value in showing the same figure over and over again (as for Dragoon regiments) with only expected variations in the facing colors.) There is no doubt there are unusual variants for almost every known Martinet plate, but it is impossible to know whether a variant represents an intentional authorized change made to depict a specific feature of a uniform of a particular regiment or simply a mistake or unauthorized change by a free-lance colorist. For instance, if there is a print of a soldier of the 7th Dragoons with a white plume and one with a red plume, there is no way to determine which, if either, is correct. As a result, in this case, more information is not necessarily beneficial.

Messages In This Thread

Martinet publication
Re: Galerie des Enfants de Mars
Re: Galerie des Enfants de Mars