Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Scope for a major study of women in the Penins

Anthony,

As I find this subject very interesting, I'm embarking in a statistical work in order to characterize this population. Not being a Women Studies person myself, I have professionaly worked the subject before and believe these numbers should be treated.
I'm just starting, but as with all statistical work, we must start asking the right questions, or see ourselves having to double back and start over.

One of the things I've noticed as starting trends is that an overwhelming majority of these women are not from the area of the regiment, this might indicate that they could have joined during the years 1808-1812 when most of the army was in Portugal (namely the Tagus area), although I must consider that some could have been born elsewhere but then migrated to the area of the regiment. Also, this could also have something to do with pratices imitated from the British, which were not the norm before.

Also, another important element is the rank of the men to which they were either married or linked. This indicates, from the start, that the nature of the connection of the women to the army is through each of its soldiers, and outside whatever the relation might be, a social indicator might be extracted. I've notice somes case in which the commanding officer reporting felt the need to indicate that the woman was married and connected (pertence - belongs) - so, not married with the soldier, but with him. For statistical purposes, I consider these as single.

Nationality is also a factor, as Spanish and French women can be found.

I'm organising the data in terms of Brigades, as some of the reports consider the women within the brigade, and do not specifiy the sub-unit. Also, units which were not part of the brigades, like artillery, cavalary and some infantry, are considered within the scope of the brigades, on the march home to Portugal, as they were joined for just that purpose.

I would appreciate any help you might throw my way, especially in this phase.

Jorge

Messages In This Thread

New John Lynn Book
Re: New John Lynn Book
Women in the Portuguese Army (1814) - a source
Re: Women in the Portuguese Army (1814) - a source
And in the Russian army
Scope for a major study of women in the Peninsular