Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Sarre, 9 October 1813 - Doubts

I'm reading Oman (vii, p. 138) about the events on 9 October 1813, near Sarre, and have a few questions.
Oman states that the Portuguese (6th) Brigade of the 7th Division were allowed by Dalhousie to make a lodgement in the outer houses of the village of Sarre, but were then drove out by the French. As this division was only supposed to demonstrate in that area, Wellington was upset with all of this.

Now, Oman indicates Madden as their commander. This is a problem, because, as far as I know, the commander of the Portuguese Brigade of the 7 th Division was Lecor, Madden not even being commander of the Portuguese Brigade of the 6 th Divison (he was apparently substituted by James Douglas in August).

I've read the Dispatches (xi, pp. 180-181 - http://books.google.com.br/books?id=9eMQAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA280&vq=Le+Cor&source=gbs_search_r&cad=0_1#PPA180,M1 ) about the subject, and in fact the 7th Division is the unit that enganged in the "unnecessary scrapes" in Sarre.
But then, a third dispatch, written to Colville (commanding the 6th Division), is very critical of the commander of the Portuguese Brigade for having lost 150 men "for nothing, and in disobedience of your orders". Supposedly, this commander was James Douglas and not Madden, as Oman indicates.

Oman seems to blend in two different situations here, as far as I can tell, as this two divisions were next to each other.
Was all of this from the same initial problem with the 7th Division, or are we talking about two different 'unnecessary scrapes'?

Thanks in advance,

Jorge

Messages In This Thread

Sarre, 9 October 1813 - Doubts
Sir George Allan Madden.
Re: Sir George Allan Madden.
Re: Sarre, 9 October 1813 - Doubts