Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Question - Observing Officers Nov. 1811

Hi,

Hope anyone can help me.
I'm going through some Lecor oriented letters in AHM online and found some letters on the lack of funding for the Portuguese observing officer (then) Alferes José Clemente Pereira.
In a letter dated November 25, 1811, while on commission, Pereira, to illustrate his desperate lack of money (a current problem in the PO Army), states the following:

"Como tãobem suplico a V. S.ª que se queira tomar o trabalho de fazer prezente a quem convenha, que eu perciso muito que se me de alguma indamnização do que perdi em Azeuche no acto de ser feito prizioneiro o Snor. Tenente-Coronel Grant, porquanto sendo me indispensavel hum cavallo, e havendo-o comprado a credito, ainda estou em divida dele, e sem meios de a pagar."

(my translation: "I also beg Your Honour that you make the effort to inform whom is concerned, that I need very much that some reparation be given to me for what I lost in Azeuche in the act of Lieutenant Colonel Grant being made a prisioner, as a horse is indispensable to me, and having bought it to credit, I'm still in debt and without means to pay.")

I've tried to identify which Grant Pereira is talking about, but have nothing. As far as I know, only Major Colquhon Grant was captured but only in April the next year.
I've checked other Grants, and the only possibilities are Maxwell Grant (LtCol commanding Infantry 6) and John Grant (Grant Malo ?).

All the best,

Jorge

Messages In This Thread

Question - Observing Officers Nov. 1811
Re: Question - Observing Officers Nov. 1811
Re: Question - Observing Officers Nov. 1811 *LINK*
Acehúce - Azeuche (Cáceres)