Napoleon Series Archive 2010

The Royal Green Jackets Archive at Winchester

I'm researching an ancestor named Daniel Gale who was a private in the 3rd Battalion of the 95th Regiment of Foot, on the Antwerp expedition, and then at Waterloo. When he was discharged in 1816, 6 years service was recorded, suggesting 4 years service plus the two years Waterloo enhancement.

I'd like to know more about him, such as whether he was sent to the Peninsula before Antwerp. My understanding is that the Green Jackets archive at Winchester has muster rolls for the 95th and so I could find out more about Daniel from them.

I've sent two emails to the archive. The first was in September. I got a very brief acknowledgement saying they'd get back to me. Not having heard anything, I sent a second email on 14th November to which I got no reply at all.

Two questions:

Has anybody on this forum done work at the archive and do they know the magic formula for getting the archivist to answer queries? Should I write instead of emailing? Or is the problem that I'm an amateur doing family history?

There is no catalogue for the archive on the web, so I have no way of knowing for sure that they have useful material. I only know about the muster-rolls from a BBC podcast. Does anyone know what documents from the 95th they have?

I live in Canada and can only visit the archive during a visit to the UK in April next year, so it is important to me to get the arrangements sorted out in advance.

Messages In This Thread

The Royal Green Jackets Archive at Winchester
Re: The Royal Green Jackets Archive at Winchester
Re: The Royal Green Jackets Archive at Winchester
Re: John Himbury?
Re: John Himbury?
Re: Militia Service?
Re: Militia Service?
Re: RGJ Museum
Re: RGJ Museum
Re: Daniel Gale
Re: Daniel Gale