Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: Were any Forsyth percussion pistols carried?

"Circa 1812 Gentleman's pistol Forsyth scent bottle lock (Gold Fittings): "

That is probably authentic, as the date is within the range of Forsyth's patent.

"Percussion pistol by Forsyth, English, c1840. The pistol is fitted with the
'scent-bottle' lock designed and developed by the Reverend Alexander Forsyth
at the Tower of London in 1806-1807: "

I believe the 1840 date may be spurious, although it is obviously a Forsyth; the percussion cap was patented by Joshua Shaw in 1822 (IIRC), after Forsyth's patent would have expired (14-year English patent limit, IIRC, for this time period). I cannot be certain, but it would seem unlikely for Forsyth to continue with his lock so far into the percussion-cap period.

Shaw is reported as stating that he developed the cap in 1811 but had to wait for Forsyth's patent to expire to apply for his; this is very likely true, as there were several improvements developed by others early on, but which were the subject of patent lawsuits by Forsyth.

"Of possible interest: "

"http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Antique-Pistol-Hand-guns/Joseph-Egg-gun-for-sale-gs6776.aspx"

Many of these early guns were converted from flintlock to percussion after Shaw's percussion cap became available; this is probably the correct situation with regard to these, as Forsyth is recorded as vigorously defending his patent, as required by law; and the percussion cap situation described above.

Note that I would not have expected many of Forsyth's pistols to be carried during the conflict, only that it would have been possible, as they were available. I would imagine that if any officer had purchased a Forsyth, it would probably have been as a "status" item to show off ("latest and greatest" imagination); as is well known, there were many officers who purchased their commisions primarily for social status, and many of this crowd were generally incompetent on military affairs and weaponry.

I find myself wondering in what sort of packaging loose fulminate powder would have been carried to re-charge the scent-bottle, given the sensitivity of fulminates. Modern magnum-primers (as also standard rifle and pistol primers) are packaged for reloading in a small plastic tray, with channels for 10 primers, in 10 rows, arranged to prevent metal-to-metal contact with the internal anvils (American Boxer primers; Europe and England use Berdan primers, IIRC) inside a card-stock slip-cover. Some caution is required in handling the magnum primers in magazine-equipped priming tools, as if one goes off, it can potentially set off the others; this would be the modern parallel to the above situation.

Thanks very much, Steven, all these are of interest.

Regards, John

Messages In This Thread

Were any Forsyth percussion pistols carried?
Re: Forsyth - Egg pistol correction