Napoleon Series Archive 2011

HMS Ulysses at Mystad

I am trying to determine where the port of Mystad was located - I assume it was in Scandinavia in the Baltic. An incident which occurred on October 26 and 27, 1813 was reported as such in the Gentleman's Magazine of December 1813: Lt. Townley Ward Douglas volunteered his services to command one of the boats of HMS Ulysses against a Danish Privateer infesting the harbor of Mystad. On the preceding night (to the admiration of those who witnessed his exertions), he succeeded in making one capture, and was on the point of making a second, when he was killed by a musket-ball. He was interred, with the honours of war, on a small island of Gottenburgh, attended by all the captains and officers of that station. He was the eldest son of the late P[eter]. D[ouglas]. esq. of Fitzroy-square, many years a commander in the Hon. East India Company's service.
I have been unable to locate Mystad nor am I certain of the whereabouts of a small island of Gottenburgh which had a station thereon. Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you!
Kent Young

Messages In This Thread

HMS Ulysses at Mystad
Uusikaupunki (Nystad), Finland.
Naskow Denmark! Laland Island!
The Gentleman's Magazine Obit.
Death of Townley Ward Douglas