Napoleon Series Archive 2014

Re: N`s attitude to German states of the Confedera

The Correspondance has a letter to the king of Wurtemburg 2.4.11

N had demanded a regiment from each of his allies, Saxony, Bavaria, Westphalia had complied. It was, he stated, for the defence of Dantzig against the Russian threat. Wurtemburg was making difficulties: it is a long letter but I draw your attention to this paragraph:

"In these circumstances, I think that Your Majesty would not wish to leave me any doubts about the Confederation, doubts which would entirely destroy the system where Your Majesty has found tranquillity and good fortune. Your Majesty can well feel how little importance I place on two battalions which will not make 1,200 men; but it is a measure that I have thought necessary. I have reunited Hambourg and the Hanseatic towns because I did not believe myself able to count on the support of these towns in my system against England, and because England does not recognise any neutrality at sea. If the princes of the Confederation leave me the least doubt on their dispositions for the common defence, I can say frankly, they will destroy themselves."

regards,

Susan

Messages In This Thread

N`s attitude to German states of the Confederation