Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Where is Grouchy?

Dear All,

I visited Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris this year finding all 14 tombs of the Marshals of Empire buried or commemorated there. Tony Broughton's article 'The Marshals' Final Resting Place' proved extremely useful during my quest.

Marshal Grouchy's tomb was among the most difficult to find, reminding me of Rod Steiger's anguished cry 'Where is Grouchy?' in the Waterloo film of 1971 as I tried to seek it out. Nevertheless, with dogged persistence I found and photographed it.

Currently I am devising maps of Pere Lachaise and wonder if anyone can tell me exactly which division Grouchy's tomb is located in. It lies on the right side of the Av de Feuillant that becomes the Av Laterale du Nord as it leads down towards the main entrance. It is below the tomb of Napoleon's artist Jacques David, which is in division 56. Therefore I am fairly sure it lies in division 57 but it is possibly as low down as division 56. Annoyingly my photographs cannot help me determine the division number.

Naturally I want to be precise when designing a map intended to help others navigate the cemetery. So far my research has not revealed the exact division number. Can anyone help?

Regards,

David

Messages In This Thread

Where is Grouchy?
Re: Where is Grouchy?