Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Where is Grouchy?
In Response To: Re: Where is Grouchy? ()

Dear Susan,

While it isn't part of my current studies, I do keep running across references to Freemasonry in relation to the Napoleonic Wars. Although I spotted some instances of the compass, square and ashlar in Pere Lachaise, I failed to see the Sprig of Acacia, which I understand is particularly important in the craft (I'm not a Mason although a few friends and colleagues are). That said, I wasn't really looking for it with a host of other things on my mind.

By co-incidence, I recently saw a tombstone covered with Masonic symbols in the churchyard of St George's Chapel in Deal including the sprig, skull and many more. Once again, I was more interested in finding the gravestone of one of Nelson's captains buried there and ran across it purely by accident.

Being interested in symbols, Masonic graves tend to catch my eye when I visit churchyards and cemeteries but, after a quick scan through my photos from Pere Lachaise, I couldn't detect any obvious instances of Acacia. While floral wreathes and tributes are commonplace, Sprigs of Acacia didn't stand out. That said, there may be a sprig on J.P. Baron Jacquet's 1769-18?? grave. He was a Marechal de Camp de Cavalrie and his grave is near General Foy's immense tomb. However, as you will have guessed from question marks in my listed dates, it is weather damaged and the sprig could be from another plant. Interestingly, Marshal Perignon's tomb has two sprigs but one is certainly oak and the other appears to be mistletoe.

I found Marshal MacDonald's tomb but don't recall any obvious Masonic graves in the region of his resting place. That said, I was in a hurry to find the other Marshals at the time and, with a cemetery as complex and interesting as Pere Lachaise, there never is enough time. I spent a day there and it wasn't enough!

If work and finances allow, I hope to revisit Paris and PL this year and I'll keep an eye out for the Sprig of Acacia for you when I do.

For those interested to see what the sprig of Acacia symbol looks like see - http://www.sacred-texts.com/mas/sof/sof30.htm

Best Regards,

David

Messages In This Thread

Where is Grouchy?