Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Napoleon's "official memoirs"?

Hi Tom & everyone,
Thanks so much for your replies regarding this.

The reason I asked is because if you go to Google and search for Napoleon's biography, you'll find that Bourrienne's memoirs are paraded as his official memoirs.
A friend got me the PDF some time back saying: Here are Napoleon's memoirs....

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I was under the firm impression that on St Helena, Napoleon was spending most of his time dictating his memoirs and liaising with others of his entourage regarding their past exploits. So I was under the firm impression that he had composed his memoirs there. I'm sure I read about this somewhere some years ago.

So if Bourrienne's memoirs aren't it ... then where are the things he wrote on St Helena? Or did that not happen?

BTW, I was going through Bourrienne's memoirs and I was very disgusted by the story of the cannon ball and Napoleon apparently laughing at the man who was cut in half.
So I assume that is just one of the hate-filled stories? I had many questions about that.

Finally: What exactly is the name of the book that the Napoleon Foundation produced that has the most complete set of his letters?

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon's "official memoirs"?