Napoleon Series Archive 2018

KGL officer at at La Haye Sainte

First of all, very many thanks to Rod and Ron for their kind help regarding Major Stolte of the 2nd Light Bn. KGL. I now have everything I was looking for about him.

I have a great interest in the KGL, and especially in the officers who defended the farmhouse of La Haye Sainte. During my researches I noticed an English
name - that of Ensign William Smith of the 2nd Light Bn. which intrigued me somewhat. Thankfully our old friend Ludlow Beamish had some basic information
about him, without which trying to research the background of a man with such a common name would have been virtually impossible.
I found that he was born in 1796, and Commissioned without purchase in February 1814. He is on Baring's list as a defender of the farmhouse, and like most went
on half pay in 1816. Now it gets a little more interesting.

In October 1820 he got married, but within 2 years had gambled away his wife's fortune, losing £5000 (£480,000 pounds in today's money) at a London gambling house. He lost
some £500 (nearly £50,000) in one one day alone.
In 1823 he was declared insolvent, owing his tailor £210 (nearly £20,000 today) and jailed. When he applied to be released from his insolvency, he was told he had to serve a further six
months before applying again! Finally in 1829 he commuted his half pay pension - perhaps to pay of debts? His 1829 Officers Service Summary he states ' “After repeated efforts to be placed on full pay,
in despair I entered on another occupation which I trust circumstances will permit me to follow for the remainder of life. I have now no wish to be placed on full pay – but in the case of war my services
can be as they have been at the disposal of my King & country”. I would be intrigued to know what occupation he took up, as at this point my trail goes cold (that common name again)
Can anyone help with a couple of questions please?

Would he have had to be fluent in the German language to be commissioned into the Legion?
Would his original enlistment papers be available anywhere? (I would like to find out his exact birth date, where he was born, and who his family were etc., as this could possibly open up other avenues of
research.

Allan

Messages In This Thread

KGL officer at at La Haye Sainte
Re: KGL officer at at La Haye Sainte