Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Re: Dutch Cuirassier helmet
In Response To: Re: Dutch Cuirassier helmet ()

Thank you Paul - most illuminating attachments. There is always something new - I have what I thought was a were complete sets of the two Geenaert series and the new museum source produced four different examples including the two Cuirassiers, a different version of the Garde Huzaars and a mounted Horse Artilleryman. On checking the Cuirassier in my version, I find that it had slipped my mind that he too had a brass helmet. I still wonder if Cuirasses were actually worn by the rank and file in this unit that changed its identity so often? The examples that you provide are clearly those of senior officers who may have worn these for show only - a not unusual event?

I completely agree as to the superior merits of Richard to Herbert Knotel - both in applied research and artistic aplication, although his renditions did get much better later on. I stick to my opinion that much of his work deserves respect but agree that a minority are more than a little doubtful. I wonder if the Cuirassier in question was a case where limited sources were available to him and that two and two were added to make five?

Messages In This Thread

Dutch Cuirassier helmet
Re: Dutch Cuirassier helmet *LINK*