Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Re: Veterinary Treatment of Horses

Well, just a present I'm working on the talk I am giving to the Society for Army Historical Research AGM in April on Wellington and the British Army (and would be happier if I had written it already!)

I've also just finished a book that is a change of pace from military and political history, although still the same period: Gentlemen of Uncertain Means: How Younger Sons made their way in Jane Austen's England. It looks at the different careers open to young gentlemen, most of whom were younger sons who would inherit very little and needed to pursue a profession. So I look at their prospects (both of success and of happiness) if they became clergymen, lawyers, doctors, bankers, naval or military officers or went out to India - all with lots of entertaining examples of people some of whom became famous, but most of whom were obscure, at least in their youth - and also a good bit from Jane Austen's novels and the life of her brothers and wider family. It was great fun to do, and I hope will be fun to read. Yale are bringing it out in late August or early September.

Messages In This Thread

Veterinary Treatment of Horses