Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Fontaine du Palmier

Dear All,

I'm still exploring the mysteries of Napoleonic Paris and have been researching the Fontaine (Fountain) du Palmier located in the Place du Chatelet on the banks of the Seine. The only survivor of fifteen fountains commissioned by the Emperor, it not only commemorated his victories but provided much needed drinking water when most of the population lacked piped water in their homes.

Looking at the four photos I took of it from across the street (it was extraordinarily busy at the time) I believed it only commemorated the battles of Lodi, the Pyramids, Marengo, Ulm and the Siege of Danzig. Indeed, most people only photograph the front of it and descriptions mostly refer to the frontal view. However, during research I found a few photos on JJ Wargames website - Jon being the only photographer diligent enough to record parts of the other side of the column that I've found. Well done Jon! This enabled me to add Arcola, Rivoli, Jena, Austerlitz, Mount Tabor and Friedland to the list. I was particularly pleased to see the rarely mentioned Mount Tabor recorded!

I am aware that my photographs aren't good enough for this location and hope to redress this when I visit Paris again in a couple of weeks time. However, as many of you will no doubt be aware, the French capital has so much to offer that I'm going to be dashing around like a wet hen trying to photograph everything and may not be able to return to this fountain.

Is my list of battles on the column's barrel complete? Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

David

Messages In This Thread

Fontaine du Palmier
Re: Fontaine du Palmier
Re: Fontaine du Palmier