Napoleon Series Archive 2020

Re: Napoléon le Grand
In Response To: Re: Napoléon le Grand ()

But neither were showing Napoleon as a diminutive character in a cartoon meant to be an historical comment on his height either.

My point is that both sides indulged in untruths, for morale and counter intelligence purposes. To somehow endow Napoleon with a free pass while criticizing others is not exactly evenhanded.

The cartoon was, and continues to be, a valid satirical tool. There was, and is, only one official government newspaper in Britain, The London Gazette. All others were in private ownership and independently edited. While the country was at war, it is unsurprising that the opposing leader would be in the firing line of a little opprobrium. Herr Schicklgruber came in for similar treatment 130 or so years later, yet few would leap to his defence, despite the fact that neither this slur on his father's illegitimacy or his monorchism were strictly true. Margaret Thatcher did not wear a man's suit, or use the House of Commons urinals either, but both completely untrue satirical devices were used against her.

What I would be intrigued to find out is are there any French satirical cartoons in this period? How do they portray Perfidious Albion? And if they exist, would you then take that as evidence of Napoleon's propaganda?

You seem to have confused satire for entertainment purposes with government sponsored propaganda, untruths published under official seal. Rather than a long list of Napoleonic apologists (which I've largely read, but recognise them for the perspectives they have chosen to take) there is always danger in echo chambers. I am not surprised that Bulletins contain some truths, and that with diligence they can be found. For good propaganda to work it always has to. Weaving your disinformation within a framework of undeniable truths is as old as disinformation operations itself. But disinformation instruments, by your own admission, they were.

I'm not asking for an epiphany, just a recognition of balance. If you can't see that, then Napoleon's propaganda really was good, as it still appears to be working effectively after more than two centuries.

Messages In This Thread

These Boots were Made for Marching...
Re: These Boots were Made for Marching...
These Boots cost 117,000 € *LINK*
Napoléon le Grand
Re: Napoléon le Grand menteur