Napoleon Series Archive 2008

A little reflection
In Response To: Re: French Military Law ()

Reading the mention of Australian history made me reflect on the forum in general. I know, but bear with me.

Generally speaking, I find it impossible to have the sort of debates that are usually raging here, eg on Fr vs Br military offences, rules of war, etc etc, because my work environment is infested with people who (a) haven't read much (b) aren't historians (c) are heavily afflicted with the dead hand of Political Correctness. So an issue like transportation can't be discussed, as the response will be "Oh, colonialist white oppressors, oppressing the working classes" etc etc. Eg attitude to Remembrance Day "Oh, that just glorifies war" etc. Not exactly the grounds for an interesting, informed and nuanced discussion.

So I suppose what I'm getting around to saying is how very nice it is that there's one place at least and one topic (N era) on which that very valuable and enjoyable informed, interested and thank goodness NOT PC debate can and does take place, even though a little joshing and jostling occurs - and a bit of humour too - it's heartfelt and generally informed.

So, thanks, everyone....

Cheers

C

Messages In This Thread

French Military Law
Re: French Military Law
Parliamentary Papers - House Of Commons.
Re: Parliamentary Papers - House Of Commons.
Re: French Military Law *LINK*
A little reflection