Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Who is this General Bonaparte?

Dear All,

I have been looking into Napoleon's career recently and came across a quotation that I could use a little help with. Shortly after the seige of Toulon 1793, Jean-Andoche Junot (a great friend of the future Emperor and later a general himself) was asked by his father:

''Who is this General Bonaparte? Where has he served? No one knows anything about him.'' Junot responded, 'I will respond as Santeuil: 'to know him is to be him...'''

The earliest source for the above that I've found is: Coston, Baron de, Biographie des premiere annees de Napoleon Bonaparte, in 2 vols, Paris, Marc Aurel Freres, 1840, p301

However, my dilemma is discovering who was this Santeuil was that Junot was referring to? I have conducted quite a search and the most likely candidate I have been able to find is Jean Baptiste de Santeuil (1630-1697) who was a French priest, poet and hymn composer. Can anybody confirm this or, if I am wrong, tell me where this line originates from? I would appreciate it as this has proved rather difficult to track down.

Regards,

Dave

Messages In This Thread

Who is this General Bonaparte?
Pour savoir ce qu'il est il faut être lui-
Re: Pour savoir ce qu'il est il faut être
Re: Pour savoir ce qu'il est il faut être
Santolius Maglorianus et Santolius Victorinus.
Re: Santolius Maglorianus et Santolius Victorinus.