Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: Mittau, Mitau, Mitawa, Mintauja or Jelgava?

I bow to your greater knowledge.

My attempt was to answer how one would use it In English. The other point was to be consistent through the various regimental names (if not those of people).

How other languages would apply their rules to a units name is another issue, let alone the translitteration.

The "choice" between w, v, f is a related matter. Many names taken from a German source (already transliterated) tend to have "w" and to English one would tend to use "v" and, unless the person thinks things through, the w's stay. In other cases the "v" and "f" pose a problem. I prefer to go to a more German name when it makes sense (Batlic families, primarily, or German immigrant families) or when a translitterated name is better understood to readers in English (think "von der xxx" rather than "fon der xxx").

Some places have official names in serveral languages such as the Swiss (German, French, Italian, Romansh, English) - well, mainly.

From Basel - Bāle - Basilea - Basilea - Basel [officially changed in the 1990's and no longer "Basle" in English, despite entries in Wikipedia] - R

Messages In This Thread

Mittau, Mitau, Mitawa, Mintauja or Jelgava?