Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: Napoleon and the French slave-trade?

Strange text.
The contribution of Barataria seems grossly exagerated compared to other sources.
It's the first time I see anti-slave policy evoked as a reason for the New Orleans expedition. And if Jamaïca, seat of british power, was the center of this trade, some more obvious means were at hand.
I did not now of Laffitte having any other basement than Louisiana, nor being essential in slave trade. He was in fact a smuggler, not a pirate, with no captured ship recorded.
I difficultly see how slave trade could be feed by Haïti, the only abolitionist state of the whole America, whatever the instability of his government.
And even then, I don't see how Napoleon could have any financial interest in it in 1815, since the Haïtians, by their fierce resistance, get rid of the french before 1804.

From a more general point of view, Napoleon when first consul proved hostile to colour officers, and tried to reinstall slavery in the Antillas, hoping to restart the tropical trade which yielded 20% of the revenue of the Ancien Regime. This proved to be a false move, provoking bloody resistance in Weather islands, and defeat in Haïti. The loss of the later deprived the French of their main basis in Mexico Gulf, and was not strange to the abandonment of Louisiana.

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon and the French slave-trade?
British foreign policy and the slave-trade
The British Slave Trade, 1780-1807
Re: Napoleon and the French slave-trade? *LINK*