Napoleon Series Archive 2010

Re: Napoleon and the French slave-trade?

Thanks again,

All the details are filling in more of the blanks. The Napoleon/Lafitte connection was merely my own hypotheses, but I hadn't meant to imply that Napoleon was either the kingpin or a major player in European slave-trading, nor that he was a factor by 1815, only that I saw a possibility that he might have had a financial interest, as Lafitte was French, and I wanted to determine whether or not there was any known connection (at least during the earlier era).

Intrigues were rampant, and Lafitte's smuggling comes under the heading of the black market, so I have merely speculated on the possibilities. Following all the money would, of course, be a major and virtually impossible task, in this instance.

As to Wise's reference to Jamaica after 1807, that could also be a proof-reading error; it appears to me that his book was a one-man project, as there are occasional glaring errors and omissions in the overall text. I am not personally conversant with the Haiti issues.

One thing that has been clarified and confirmed here, is that Lafitte's real business was the slave-smuggling, which is little known to the average American raised on the popular fictions of "Lafitte the Pirate." Definitely, some considerable quantity of slaves were being transported via some routes and ending up passing through Lafitte's smuggling organization, no matter whose hands they may have passed through before that.

Regards, John

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon and the French slave-trade?
British foreign policy and the slave-trade
The British Slave Trade, 1780-1807
Re: Napoleon and the French slave-trade? *LINK*