Napoleon Series Archive 2013

Re: Howie Muir's essay
In Response To: Re: Howie Muir's essay *LINK* ()

Erwin:

Howie goes to great lengths to establish how old a tradition and practical practice 'order of battle' was for military men. [Achilles' elit unit was on the right of the Greek forces and stepped off first in the Illiad.] And of course, there were several variations, depending on the tactical needs and specific units involved. I don't think it is a matter of 'if' the Dutch army used 'battle array norms', but rather which one they employed at Waterloo. From the brief glance at the map on the webpage you noted, it looks as if the weaker units were placed on the flanks, but I could be wrong. The issues that determined the formation arrangements were: [in no particular order of significance.]

1. Seniority of the unit or commanding officer
2. Unit numbering
3. Experience, elite, militia etc.
4. Tradition
5. Tactical situation
6. Planned maneuvers or direction of the attack/defense.[Usually, the most experienced unit was made the directing or guide unit for the rest.]
7 The nationalities involved. [For instance, in Spain, independent Spanish armies were deployed on the right of the British, such as Talavera and Albuera.
8. Issues of honor. At Culloden, the clans argued over who would have the place of honor.

Anyway, it is a fascinating topic of how and why armies were arrayed the way they were. Howie's chapter is very specfic and meaty. I am sure you will find references to the Dutch practices in Dutch infantry regulations.

Bill

Messages In This Thread

Brigade deployment
Re: Brigade deployment
Re: Brigade deployment
Howie Muir's essay
Re: Howie Muir's essay *LINK*
Re: Howie Muir's essay *LINK*