Napoleon Series Archive 2013

Concur

Dear Mr. Reinertsen,

I concur with your comments. Indeed, after reading the Moderator's post, I did look in vain for the "new rules concerning rude and insulting behavior", and found only the already existing rules.

From this, I thought either (i) the "new rules" would not be explicitly listed but instead be a sort of ad-hoc judgement call by the Moderator, or (ii) that I was confused and did not understand the regulation of the forum as envisioned by the Moderator.

Taken together with the Moderator's prior warning, I must say that I have recently refrained from participation in any dialog where there appears to be disagreement. Not knowing what was permitted and what was to be penalized, the result was self-censorship.

May I be so bold as to add another point. Several of the participants here are not native English speakers. Our ability to manage the tone of short written communications to avoid being "rude and insulting" may be in doubt, despite our having the very best of intentions. For myself, with academic preparation in mathematics, engineering and law - my dear wife has often stated that I am functionally illiterate in three languages. I do not really trust myself to meet the expectations of the Moderator implicit (but not explicit) in his recent notices.

Further, what is considered "rude and insulting" is highly laden with cultural values and norms. As you, Mr. Reinertsen, have noted - one person's levity is another's insult. Again, with all the good intentions in the world, will a colleague from the countryside regions have the same understanding of "rude and insulting" as a sophisticated urbanite ? Will a Moscovite have the same conception as a Parisian or a New Yorker or an Los Angelito? And will any of these have the same appreciation as the Moderator, who - we are now informed - will ban without warning when his sensitivities have been wounded?

I do not presume to know how any of these things should be arranged. But I believe that I can concur with Mr. Reinertsen - I do think it all needs more work.

Amcialement,
- Alexandre

Messages In This Thread

ADMIN! New Rules on Forum Behavior *LINK*
Re: New Rules on Forum Behavior
Concur
Re: Concur
Re: Concur