Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Sir John Moore's Translation

Stephen:
Thank you for that. Moore wrote the instructions to the Irish Militia in 1798? My initial question was about the sources that Rottenburg used. Being/speaking German, he would have had access to German works like Ewald's. As he helped raise Hompesch's Light Infantry 1796 which was later incorporated as the 5th battalion of the 60th, [1797?] and then involved putting down the Irish rebellion, when did Rottenburg [or Moore for that matter] write it? It means that it was quickly written and just as quickly translated and just as quickly accepted as regulations. I am not finding anything particularly innovative in Rottenburg's work compared to the previous several decades.

And did Moore speak and write German to translate it? Then again, there were so many instructions floating around from the American Revolution like Capt. Eyre Coote’s 37th Light Infantry Company Order Book, 1778 – 1781 I imagine that the 60th had other instructions. [I have seen some written up for the FIW after the 60th/62nd was raised, but for the life of me, I can't find where I filed it now that I have a new computer. There are also the letters of Lieutenant Colonel Bouquet commanding the 1st Battalion; Haldimand the 2nd.

So, I am sure that Rottenburg and Moore's ideas of skirmish warfare [at least the tactics] were germinating for at least fifty years or more and available to them.

Me, I am trying to track down the various treatises and writings on light infantry tactics available between the FIW/American Revolution and @1806.

Best Regards,

Bill

Messages In This Thread

Prussian Regulations for Riflemen 1757
Re: Prussian Regulations for Riflemen 1757
Sir John Moore's Translation *LINK*