Napoleon Series Archive 2015

Re: Sir John Moore's Translation

>And did Moore speak and write German to translate it?
Moore wrote the instructions to the Irish Militia in 1798 is reproduced in my new book, Sir John Moore and the Universal Soldier. Sir John Moore was fluent in French, German, Spanish and probably passible in other languages. He read the various treatise and instruction manuals in their native languages. He met most of Europe's elite and monarchs on his Grand Tour in the 1770s accompaning his father who was companion and physician to the young Duke of Hamilton.

I do not know what precisely was Rottenburg's original sources but certainly would have been Ewald's. Alas the English translations do not reproduce the instructions to light infantry but the how/when to use light infantry. There are two types of manual, the drill manual (Rottenburg, Dundas etc..) and the operational manual (Ewald, Simcoe etc)

Rottenburg wrote it for his Hompesch Light Infantry that were later part of the 5/60th (c1797). This was in German in about 1796. Alas I have had no record of this. Certainly Moore and Fawcett translated from this. Much of this story is in my new book.

Yes it was a compilation of previous instructions that had been circulated from the 7YW.

There were many unofficial manuals for light infantry. That was a problem for British that each regiment had their own. All those you are listed are familiar names to me. Although I have only seen fragments of their writing.

>So, I am sure that Rottenburg and Moore's ideas of skirmish warfare [at least the tactics] were germinating for at least fifty years or more and available to them.
Yes I agree. This was touched upon in the Shorncliffe Lectures Volume 1 and I would love to expand this.

> Me, I am trying to track down the various treatises and writings on light infantry tactics available between the FIW/American Revolution and @1806.
I have some of these but would as you like to see the evolution of thought that I have only been able to touch upon.

If I can be of assistance then please contact me.

You are aware that the Shorncliffe Trust are a charity that are attempting to save the heretage of Shorncliffe was where Sir John Moore trained the Light Brigade and the traditional birthplace of regular light infantry. Rottenburg trained the second tranche of light infantry there in 1809-10.

Stephen

Messages In This Thread

Prussian Regulations for Riflemen 1757
Re: Prussian Regulations for Riflemen 1757
Sir John Moore's Translation *LINK*
Re: Sir John Moore's Translation