Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Artillery casualties
In Response To: Artillery casualties ()

Hi Jorge, your posts about officer casualties are always informative and interesting.

I have made a small statistics during my writing for Austerlitz.
From Quintins' book Austerlitz, 2 décembre 1805 Dictionnaire biographique des soldats de Napoléon tombés au champ d'honneur
I collected 1,536 names of the French soldiers who got KIA or DOW at Austerlitz (of course, there are still some gaps, Mr and Mrs Quintin only listed the name they found in archives).
In the 1,536 men, there were 326 who had their causes of death.
Musket fire: 184.5 (Jean-Baptiste Delsine from 17th Light was killed by a musket ball and a lance)
Artillery fire: 129 (most of them were killed by roundshots, however)
Cold weapon: 12.5

You can also try Quintins' other books. In their La tragédie d’Eylau, I found the percentage of musket fire at Eylau is even higher than that at Austerlitz. Since I only did a quick search, so I cannot supply the precise number now, but generally speaking, when artillery fire killed one guy at Eylau, musket fire killed three.

PS: A Russian scholar Tselorungo has made an interesting statistics of wounded NCOs and soldiers in the Russian army (Целорунго Д.Г. О характере ранений воинов русской армии - участников Бородинского сражения. // Отечественная война 1812 года. Источники. Памятники. Проблемы: Материалы XIII Всероссийской научной конференции (Бородино, 5-7 сентября 2005 г.). М., 2006. С. 220-228.), my translation is as follows:

Wu Tian

Messages In This Thread

Artillery casualties